Thursday, October 23, 2014

All Day First Impression - Becca Ultimate Coverage Complexion Creme and It Cosmetics Bye Bye Pores HD Micro Powder


So last Friday I went on a mini shopping spree at Ulta with the intention of buying a new foundation. I did in fact find the foundation I was looking for and had a chance to try it out over the past week. 

Here are my findings:



Foundation: Becca Ultimate Coverage Complexion Creme ($44)

Company Claims: Ideal for any skin type, this formula contains a balance of 21 percent pure pigment and 22 percent water, which work in synergy to completely conceal imperfections, redness hyperpigmentation, and uneven texture in a weightless cream.

This foundation is also free of parabens, sulfates, phthalates, alcohol and fragrance.

Packaging: I was truly impressed with the packaging. The container is made of plastic and resembles a travel size hair spray canister. The bottle held 1.01 fl Oz of product. The packaging feature I enjoyed most is how the product is dispensed. This foundation has a pump dispenser (pictured below) and this earned the product major points with me. The pump allows control over how much product is dispensed in a sanitary way. I hate when I have a glass bottle that has to be tipped to its side in order to pour out the foundation and then too much product comes out that can't be returned to the bottle since it would be unsanitary. Also you don't live in fear that you might accidentally knock over the bottle and splash foundation all over the walls and floor. Becca really paid attention to the details when designing the packaging for this product.


First Impression: When applying the foundation I found that it requires prep with a good moisturizer and primer. If you do not have these you will not have the right amount of slip to the skin for application. This foundation is tacky to the touch and does not dry overly fast. The foundation does blend well and it did not go on streaky or unevenly.

The Finish: This foundation is thick and you would expect for the finish to be completely matte given the formula's texture but instead of drying completely matte the skin has a light satin finish. It didn't look oily or shiny with the first application.

Lasting Power: I put this foundation on at 10:21 am and topped it with the It Cosmetics Bye Bye Pores Micro HD Powder and my skin looked flawless. I was really surprised that a foundation that felt like it wasn't going to apply well, actually did and it didn't settle into my fine lines and wrinkles. I completely forgot that I was wearing makeup that day and had to keep reminding myself not to touch my face. 
After almost four hours I checked on the foundation again and found that the finish was still fairly matte. I did note some oil peeking through on my nose area but it was not enough to look truly shiny or greasy.
I check in again four hours later and found that yes I was a bit shiny but not in an unattractive way and that the foundation had held up all day. This review took place on a relatively warm Southern California day and I ran many errands which had me walking for most of the day. With all of that activity I was really impressed that at the end of the day it appeared as though I could use some blotting paper and my face would look good as new.
I did not notice any dry spots where they normally show up on my face and I found that my blush and bronzer stayed true to color all day long without oxidation. 

Final Thoughts: I give this foundation high marks for consistency and longevity. The packaging is beautiful, convenient and well put together. The wear of this foundation rivals many full coverage matte foundations like Makeup Forever Matte Velvet + and Kat Von D Tatoo Foundation. This product did not oxidize and stayed very true to color. The number of shades available gives many people a chance to find a match without mixing to bottles. The price is a bit much in my opinion and would like to see the price come down to be comparable to other high end foundations.


The second product I reviewed was a new loose translucent face powder.

Powder: It Cosmetics Bye Bye Pores Micro HD Powder. ($24)

Company Claims: Bye Bye Pores HD Micro Finishing Powder is the perfect setting powder and all over face finishing powder. This powder is infused with hydro collagen to smooth lines, luxurious silk for a poreless finish, and vitamin K to help reduce discoloration. It also contains anti-aging anti-oxidants Vitamins A, C, and E to help ward off free radicals throughout the day. This translucent formula works on most skin tones. 

Talc, paraben, sulfate, mineral oil, petrolatum, synthetic fragrance, and phthalate free. Hypo-allergenic and non-comedogenic.

Packaging: The powder is housed in a typical loose powder sifter jar. The lid is rubberized and makes it easier to open the container. However that is were my happiness ends with this powder's packaging. I tipped the jar on its side to try to get a little powder into the lid so I can powder my face and when I opened the lid I found that a full tablespoon of product had gathered in the lid. I was so disappointed that the powder was floating everywhere, the outside of the jar was now powdery and the jar threads were caked with powder as well. In order to clean up the mess I ended up losing product. If only the holes on the sifter were a bit smaller I wouldn't have had the issue I encountered.

First Impression: The powder is very silky and finely milled. It had no smell to it and when applied to the face slid on easily. I used a large powder brush to apply this product and simply pressed the product in where it was needed. Primarily my t-zone. The initial application blurred out my imperfections, minimized my large pores and took away all shine. I was very happy with the powder.

The Finish: The powder eliminated all shine and oily spots on my face and left it with a matte finish. I knew this would work out best for me because as my face got oilier throughout the day this powder would absorb it and in combination provide a more skin like finish. It really did look like my actual skin and not a heavy layer of product.

Lasting Power: This powder lasted nearly all day. On a regular day I probably would have need to touch up at least once during that day. However even without touching up I found that my face looked soft and basically shine free most of the day.

Final Thoughts: This powder is going to be my new go to setting powder. I believe I have figured out how to dispense the product without wasting it...I hope. The long wearing power and finish of this product exceeds my expectations. I believe the combination of the Becca Foundation and the Bye Bye Pores Powder is nearly bullet proof. I will continue to use it going forward and if I come across any challenges I will report back here.

First application of both Becca Foundation and Bye Bye Pores Powder

For details on the application of these products and my reactions please watch the video below:


No comments:

Post a Comment