Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Collective Haul: Ulta and Marshalls - Makeup, Shoes and More!


What happens when you go to a Ulta store in search of a new foundation? You guessed it...a Haul! I swore that I only had the Becca Ultimate Coverage Complexion Creme in my basket and the rest of the stuff jumped in on it's own...well...maybe.

So here are the results of the Ulta foundation trip and pictures of the lonely products that couldn't be left behind.




So first let's start with the reason I went to Ulta. I had seen many reviews on this foundation and was wondering if whether it would work with my skin right now. I've been having issues with extreme dry patches combined with an oily t-zone. I didn't want a foundation that was going to suck all of the moisture out of my face and at the same time I didn't want it leaving me looking like I stuck my face into a pan of grease. Supposedly this foundation is supposed to be able to do both.

There are many shades from which to choose and I was stuck between Tan and Bamboo. I decided to try Tan since we are going into the winter season soon enough and I am going to lose some of my color. 

I must say I was really happy with the packaging and how light weight the container is. You get the standard 1 fl. Oz. of product and because this foundation is contained within a light plastic container it will be very easy to travel with.

The next plus is that the foundation is dispensed by a pump.

This really makes me smile considering it will save me the mess of having to pour the foundation onto the back of my hand and it also allows me to really control how much product I'm putting out. That means that I will have less waste in both product and the tissues used to clean up product from the back of my hand.

I have been using this product now for a few days and I must say it appears to be living up to the hype. I will put out a full review once I've thoroughly tested it out.

So here is one of the first products to take asylum in my shopping cart (I really was just trying to find them a good home...mine) :-)





This is the It Cosmetics Bye Bye Pores Anti-Aging Micro Powder. I have been looking to change my setting powder since I currently switch between the Tarte Smooth Operator translucent powder and the Ben Nye Banana Luxury Powder. Both are good products but I felt as though both were leaving my pores looking large and obvious. So when I had read the reviews on this powder I was intrigued.

Here is what It Cosmetics has to say about their product:

Bye Bye Pores HD Micro Finishing Powder is the perfect setting powder and all over face finishing powder. This powder is infused with hydro collagen to smooth lines, luxurious silk for a poreless finish, and vitamin K to help reduce discoloration. It also contains anti-aging anti-oxidants Vitamins A, C, and E to help ward off free radicals throughout the day. This translucent formula works on most skin tones. Talc, paraben, sulfate, mineral oil, petrolatum, synthetic fragrance, and phthalate free. Hypo-allergenic and non-comedogenic.

I have tried out this powder for a few days and I must say it is finely milled and blurs out my large pores beautifully. My only complaint about the product would have to be it's packaging. The powder puff that comes with it really is not large enough and won't stand up to the multiple washes it would take to utilize it in a sanitary way. Also, when attempted to shake out some product into the lid I ended up with a small mountain of product. I was so disappointed that so much came out at once and that the sifter holes were so big to allow that. Since that mistake I have since taken to laving the cap on the product and simply shaking it from side to side without turning it over and I can get enough product to work with. It was sad to have lost so much product on the first day.The next items that hitchhiked home with me were the NYX Matte Lipstick in Alabama and the NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream in Amsterdam.



I have used both of these products before in different shades so I know that the feel of these on the lips would not be drying and that the color payout should be solid.

I was not disappointed. Let's start with the Matte Lipstick in Alabama.



As you can see above the color is a true red and to me it appears to have a bit of a blue undertone to it. This color swatches very true to the tube color and has a creamy consistency. Since this is a true matte lipstick the staying power should be good. I'll let you know in a future blog if that is not the case.



The second NYX product is the Soft Matte Lip Cream in Amsterdam.



This lip product comes in a standard gloss container but is an opaque lip color. As you can see above it has a doe foot applicator and it comfortably smooths on the product evenly.





This lip cream has a thick consistency and although it glides on with a liquidy feeling, this lip product dries to a soft matte finish in a few seconds. I have used this product line before and the staying power is good and only requires touch up after meals.
The last product that jumped into by Ulta basket is this brush by It Cosmetics for Ulta.






This is the It Cosmetics Blending Concealer Brush #203. According to the display this brush can assist in blending cream, liquid and powder concealers. As you can see below this is a densely packed yet fluffy blending brush.



My hope is that I can use this brush to apply my under eye concealer products and it will assist in preventing the products build up in my fine lines. We will see if it lives up to its claims...

Here is the tally for my Ulta shopping excursion:

Becca Ultimate Coverage Complexion Creme - $44.00
It Cosmetics Bye Bye Pores Anti-Aging Powder - $24.00
NYX Matte Lip Stick - Alabama - $4.49 (Buy 1 Get 1 50% off. Reg.$5.99)
NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream - Amsterdam - $4.49 (Buy 1 Get 1 50% off Reg.$5.99)
It Brushes for Ulta - Blending Concealer Brush - #203 - $22.00


Grand Total: $98.98 (Before California Sales Tax)

So in order to get out of the Ulta parking lot you are "forced" to drive by a brand new Marshalls. This is completely unfair as I am unable to resist the calling of a newly opened store. Because of this my car parked itself and I was drawn into the store.

Here are my impromptu Marshalls purchases:

First we have to have a snack...I found this Almond Pops with blueberries by 180 snacks.




I am always looks for quick and healthy snacks to munch on and these caught my eye since I had similar snacks when visiting my best friend a few weeks ago. After speaking with her we found that these are actually made by the same company as the variety she found but rather than blueberries, her bag contained cranberries.

When I tried this out on video I was really surprised. They smell like a blueberry muffin when you open the bag and when you taste them they are actually really good. Most rice based snacks are dry and many do not have any flavor. But the combination of the rice, almonds and blueberries made for a really tasty treat.


As you can see above they are a great healthy snack. But be careful with these...since they are in a large bag it is really easy to consume a few servings very quickly. I would recommend filling smaller snack bags with 2/3 cup servings and tossing one in your bag for when that sweet tooth hits.

The next items I bought were for both my best friend and I. Being a beauty junkie, I had to stop by the Marshalls beauty displays and there I found these two beauties...


I couldn't believe that there were two really cute monogrammed styling tool heat resistant pouches and they had both mine and my best friends initials on it. What are the odds? I love these heat resistant pouches and they enable you to throw hot styling tools into your bags just after usage and they protect the other items in your bag from being affected by the heat.



These are two good size pouches and as shown above, have a Velcro closure. On the back of each pouch is a pocket to hold the cord from your styling tool. I can't believe I lucked out and found such a useful item in a cute pattern and with our initials on it. I hope my bestie like it.

The next thing I bought was really driven by the title on imprinted on it.


This simple little journal could not be left behind given the message written on its front. I live and die by writing out my plans, making lists and ideas. I like to keep a organized as possible these journal type notebooks really come in handy. I carry one with me at all times and am forever jotting down ideas for my next video or products that I really want to try or just drawing out the next makeup look I've dreamt up. This little guy will be filled up in no time.

The last item I bought brought to an end a very long search. For the past year I have been looking for a comfortable, stylish and black pair of knee high boots. I have a very difficult time finding boots as I have very muscular calves and rarely can I find a boot that will fit over them. Much to my delight I found these lovelies:

 I finally found a pair of black flat boots and have a stretchy fabric on the back end that allowed the boot to hug my ankle and calf. So rather than make my leg look thicker it really extenuates its shape. 




The boots have these tiny button going up the outer side of the boot shaft which give the boots a little something special. When I tried these on they felt super comfy and I know they'll be a wardrobe staple during the fall and winter seasons.

Here is the damage done at Marshalls:

180 Snacks - Almond Pops with Blueberries - $7.99
Monogrammed Heat Resistant Styling Tool Pouch - $6.99 X 2
"Plans for World Dominiation" Journal - $4.99
Tahari - Brady Knee High Boots - $69.00

Grand Total: $95.96 (Before California Sales Tax)

To see these boots in action and for more about this haul please watch my video. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment